WP Super Cache is a fast page caching plugin for WordPress that can significantly speed up websites.
The first release of this plugin was in September 2009 so this has been a bit too long in the making. Back then the main caching plugin was WP Cache, which this plugin is based on, but now there are quite a few including W3 Total Cache, Hypercache, Quick Cache and many more.
Version 1.0 is an incremental upgrade from the previous release but it has a number of bugfixes and new features:
- The all new scheduler and admin bar link should please many people, especially those who want to clear the cache on their site at particular times. The “Delete Cache” admin bar link is something people have been asking about for as long as WordPress has had that bar!
- You can preload categories and taxonomies although this hasn’t really been tested as well as I’d like. It works for me but YMMV.
- There’s better support for mobile and https users now. Mobile support should scale a lot more than previously.
- The cache tester is fixed now and the plugin traps as many errors as possible. It’ll also spit out some helpful text if there is a problem. 99% of the time it’s because the server can’t request a page from itself.
- At the risk of annoying users who comment on your site you can make them appear to be anonymous users which will drastically help your server if they like commenting a lot. Unfortunately it stops the comment form populating with their details so it might be worth using an external comment system like Intense Debate or Disqus!
- The Advanced Settings page now lists a “do not cache page” secret key. Use this key to view any page of your site uncached.
- The cache file listing and delete links should work again now.
- And many many more bug fixes.
Once you upgrade go visit the settings page and check out what’s new there. The upgrade worked fine for me, but there’s no harm looking. Pay close attention to the new garbage collector. The scheduler is rather powerful and flexible so it’s worth setting up right.
If you have any problems please leave a comment here or use the support forum.
You might also like